MedSys streamlines doctor registration and workflow
Optimation has worked with MCNZ to design, develop and implement MedSys, its core system for handling doctor registration and on-going certification. By automating many business processes and providing important monitoring functionality, MedSys helps improve efficiency while ensuring legal compliance and auditability. It also enables MCNZ to deliver a growing range of services over the web.
Medical Council of New Zealand
Health: Application development, Web-enabled business, Managed services
The MedSys system comprises a central registration database that manages all elements of registration, competence, health and conduct for each individual doctor, and a workflow engine that guides users through business rules-based processes. The system is fully integrated with MCNZ's existing electronic document and records management system.
"MedSys is designed to be intuitive for our users, and to guide them through processes step-by-step. It is based around workflows rather than being simply a data recording system, and as we continue to develop it we will become more efficient and productive. It also reduces our business risk and ensures we meet legal compliance requirements," explains Medical Council CEO Philip Pigou.
"The software components and the workflow engine have been designed with a lot of in-built flexibility, so we can amend workflows and processes to adapt to future changes in our business, such as new legislation or policies."
- Creates operational efficiencies from streamlined work processes
- Supports development and delivery of more services over the web
- Enables MCNZ to adapt to new legislative and business requirements
- Provides improved monitoring functionality, which has enabled the Council to continue to develop its reporting capability
- Decreases business risk
- Assures legislative compliance and auditability of processes
- Provides the technology platform to support further re-engineering of business processes
- Design and architecture consulting
- Software development and project management using agile methodologies to ensure a close fit with evolving business requirements
- Expertise in applying business rules within systems and processes
- Integration with EDRMS and other systems
- Data analysis, cleansing and migration
- On-going enhancements to functionality, including online services
- Testing and outcomes measurement throughout the development process
- Long term application support and maintenance
Planning for the MedSys project kicked off in 2006, and more than three years' work has gone into design, software architecture, software development, on-going testing, and the data analysis and migration strategy.
"Optimation worked closely with us throughout the entire development process, which meant they developed a comprehensive understanding of our business requirements and how we worked," says Pigou. "A key part of the overall strategy has been to test, measure and check that deliverables matched our business needs and specified outcomes at every stage, and that has been critical to the overall success of the project."
Want to know more about Optimation or our services?
Contact us for a no-obligation chat about your requirements.